Apply now Job no: 979641
Work type: Fixed Term (Part Time)
Categories: Community Services
- Utilise your Youth Work experience to assist Australians in need
- 12 month fixed term contract / 30.4 hours per week
- Not for Profit Salary Packaging benefits available
- 5 weeks annual leave pro rata
- Remote allowance
- Location – Newman
About Mission Australia
Mission Australia is a Christian community service organisation with a nationwide team of over 2,900 that helps people to regain their independence.
We reduce homelessness and strengthen communities through homelessness initiatives and affordable housing, early learning and youth services, family support, and employment and skills development.
Together, we stand with Australians in need until they can stand for themselves.
About the role
The role of Youth Engagement Officer provides case management and counselling support to young people who have left or are at risk of leaving school due to their alcohol and other drug use. Support is provided in consultation with other agencies and service providers to ensure a holistic delivery of service.
- Undertake a range of case management and counselling duties to support the development of clients including referrals and support letters, interaction with other service providers, appointment setting and advocacy
- Advise on specialised evidence-based AOD-related policy and practice
- Develop strong relationships with key external stakeholders to assist in the receipt of information and referral of clients.
- Conduct group sessions for clients where necessary
- Complete a range of internal and external reports
Qualifications & experience
- Tertiary qualifications in Youth Work, Counselling or Health Sciences (or working towards)
- Demonstrated experience in AOD case management
- Experience in counselling young people to change risk taking behaviour
- Computer Literacy
- Current Driver License
- Senior First Aid certificate or willingness to gain it is expected.
*See job description for further information
As part of our Employment screening process you will be required to undertake a National criminal history check.
In addition there is a requirement to possess a current Working with Children check or apply if you do not already hold one. It is unlawful for prohibited persons to apply for work with children, and, as such, prohibited persons cannot apply for this role.
- Not for Profit Salary Packaging benefits which reduces your taxable income (details via Advantage)
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
- Purchase additional annual leave
- Discounted childcare rates of up to 15% at participating Centres
Click "APPLY NOW" noting application close Wednesday 31st May 2017
For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Mission Australia is dedicated to increasing opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians. Learn about our Reconciliation Action Plan