Experience in Youth with AOD Issues
Fixed Term Part-time – 12 Months Contract/15 hours per week
Carlisle, WA Location
About Mission Australia
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 155 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more.
We're generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
As a Transitional Support Worker in our DAYS team you'll support young people who have experienced difficulties in drug misuse as they transition from residential housing into the community, providing assessment, information and informal counselling on an outreach basis.
To succeed you'll have a strong understanding of youth issues particularly in regards to drug and alcohol addictions and complex issues, prior related experience supported with qualifications (min Cert IV Community Services), and a desire to walk alongside young people facing challenges on their journey through adolescence.
- Induct clients into the service including the property, facilities, regulations and expectations and the residential guidelines, prohibited items checklist, residential contract, client’s agreement procedure.
- Support the progress of clients towards the achievement of their casework goals.
- Maintain acceptable standards of client conduct in accordance with the program’s established rules.
- Establish positive working relationships with client, endeavoring to understand and interpret their behaviour, thus influencing positive attitudinal and behavioural change.
- Support clients to develop weekly menus to ensure they are nutritious, varied and are within the client’s weekly budget plan. Provide education and guidance to clients on meal preparation and food handling.
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Minimum Certificate 4 in community services/Youth work or at least three years’ experience in adolescent residential care or related discipline.
- Demonstrated sound interpersonal and communication skills
- Understanding of adolescent AOD issues
You will need to be available to work Monday to Sunday with evening shifts included (5pm - 9pm).
As part of our Employment screening process you will be required to undertake a National Criminal History Check.
In addition there is a requirement to possess a current Working with Children check or apply if you do not already hold one. It is unlawful for prohibited persons to apply for work with children, and, as such, prohibited persons cannot apply for this role.
- Not for Profit Salary Packaging benefits which reduces your taxable income (details via Advantage)
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
- Purchase additional annual leave
- Discounted childcare rates of up to 15% at participating Centres (conditions apply)
- Employee discounts with hotels, travel insurance, and major retailers: Coles, Harvey Norman, Apple, Dell & many more
- Free, confidential counselling service
- Volunteering opportunities
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
For further information and application, please visit careers.missionaustralia.com.au.
Applications close: 20 June 2018