Workforce development and training opportunities for people working in the alcohol and other drug sector in Western Australia.
Upcoming Training and Workforce Development Opportunities
Turning Point / Monash University - Postgraduate Study in Addictive Behaviours
Turning Point, in partnership with Monash University, now offers three online postgraduate courses in Addictive Behaviours to develop your specialist knowledge and professional skills:
- Graduate Certificate of Addictive Behaviours (M4018) - 1yr part-time
- Graduate Diploma of Addictive Behaviours (M5022) - 2yrs part-time
- Master of Addictive Behaviours (M6014) - 2-3yrs part-time (depending on entry level and prior qualifications)
Learn from experts about the latest evidence for addiction concepts, models and theories to inform best-practice clinical interventions, policy and programs, research, and public health interventions for substance use and process addictions. Delivered online and part-time, these courses offer flexible learning opportunities.
For more information attend the Monash Graduate Info Webinar on Tuesday 20 October 2020, 5.30pm) or visit Make An Impact - Graduate Study in Addictive Behaviours.
North Metro TAFE - Certificate IV Alcohol and Other Drugs
This qualification offers the opportunity to begin or enhance your career in the AOD sector; to supplement your existing qualification with a specialist Certificate, and/or; to formalise your existing experience in the Community Sector working with issues surrounding AOD use. The course covers all core AOD knowledge and skills from completing assessments to providing interventions.
On Campus study - NEW to TAFE in WA: Applications for full time study, at the Midland campus, in 2nd semester 2020 will be open from Wednesday 6th May 2020. Please complete and submit your full time application via our website. On campus study occurs in a supportive environment and is a great opportunity for students who want face to face time with lecturers, and interaction with fellow learners.
Employer Based Training: Employer-based training is a flexible self-paced training program offered to individuals currently working in a job role related to the qualification. Employer-based training allows you to attain a qualification without taking time off work to attend classes.
Online Study: Online study is completed over 18 months and is suited to self-motivated students who do not yet work in the sector and who have commitments that prevent them from studying on campus.
Fees: The Cert IV AOD is included in the 'Lower fees, local skills' initiative and the fees are half price until the end of 2021.
Queries and applications: Queries and applications can be sent via the North Metro TAFE website.
Hepatitis Victoria - HEPinar - Free Viral Hepatitis and Liver Health Workforce Training, online
Wednesday October 28 2020 OR
Wednesday 4 November 2020
10am - 12.30pm
Webinar Via Zoom
Attendees will receive a Certificate of Attendance to self-report participation for their continued professional development.
HEPinar - Viral Hepatitis and Liver Health Workforce Training, online will deliver practical information, tips and strategies in assisting people requiring support to seek testing, treatment and employ safe practices (i.e. harm minimisation), concerning viral hepatitis.
Each session will run approximately for 2 hours, 30 minutes (with a small break in the middle) and feature a lived-experience speaker sharing their own unique insights and perspective into living with hepatitis and their treatment journey.
What will be covered?
- A lived experience presentation on accessing treatment for Hepatitis C.
- Liver disease - symptoms, causes, progression and health impacts.
- Hepatitis A overview, including vaccination.
- Hepatitis B (HBV) - transmission routes, risk factors (prevention), testing, immunisation, treatment and global impacts of HBV.
- Hepatitis C (HCV) - transmission routes, risk factors (prevention), testing, and treatment, highlighting the current and completely effective DAA medication.
- HCV and harm ministration.
- Identifying at-risk populations within your community.
- Myths surrounding HBV and HCV transmission.
- Privacy, disclosure and legal obligations therein.
- How to engage in supportive conversations about hepatitis treatment with your clients.
- An overview of the advocacy and support services available to AOD and community welfare workforce and consumers.
Please register using the following link: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_A8WcABtjSCG3Tbo6V-gQxQ
360edge - Superskills for supervisors
Thursday 12 November 2020
6am - 2pm AWST (9am - 5pm AEDT)
Earlybird $290 until 5 November 2020 /_Standard $350 after 5 November 2020
Further discount when booking 5 or more places
Eligible for 6 hours CPD (self-logged).
Are you a supervisor in the alcohol and other drug sector or want to become one? Have you found yourself supervising others with no training on how to do supervision effectively? Join this one day online workshop and walk away with confidence. The key to great supervision is practice improvement.
For more information and to book, visit 360edge Superskills for Supervisors at trybooking.
360edge - Superskills for supervisors.
Thursday 12 November 9am - 4:30pm (AEST)
Earlybird $290 until 5 November 2020 | Standard $350 after 5 November 2020
Are you a supervisor in the AOD sector or want to become one? Have you found yourself supervising others with no training on how to do supervision effectively? Join this one day online workshop and walk away with confidence. The key to great supervision is practice improvement.
Book your ticket for 360edge Superskills for Supervisors at TryBooking.
Save The Date - NAAA - Taking policy action to reduce alcohol-fuelled harm in Australia
Panel: Ms Shanna Whan - CEO, Sober In The Country; A/Prof Nicholas Carah Associate Professor in Media and Communication and Deputy Head, School of Communication and Arts, University of Queensland; Dr Michael Livingston - Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Alcohol Policy Research
Monday 16 November 2020
10am - 11am (12noon-1pm AEST)
Online via Zoom
The National Alliance for Action on Alcohol (NAAA) has used the most up to date, evidence-based research to come up with clear policy solutions. This work can be used by those who believe that everyone should have the opportunity to live in a community that keeps them and their family safe and free from the harm caused by alcohol products. NAAA Co-Chair Ms Jane Martin will explain and launch the NAAA Policy Platform.
This free webinar focuses on two of NAAA’s policy solutions:
- protecting children from alcohol advertising, and
- reducing harm from online sales and delivery of alcohol products.
More information will be available soon. Please save the date.
Murdoch University - Free Training: Family-based intervention for youth alcohol and other drug use and co-occurring mental health issues in Western Australia
Presented by Professor Andrew Lewis, Director of Clinical Psychology at Murdoch University and accredited BEST trainer
Thursday 26 and Friday 27 November 2020
Murdoch University South Street campus
Murdoch University is offering free Behaviour Exchange and Systems Therapy (BEST) facilitator training for clinicians across Western Australia.
BEST is an evidence-based, 8-week, multi-family group program for parents and their young persons (12-24yo) with substance use and/or mental health issues. Previously implemented and evaluated in Victoria, BEST was effective in engaging at-risk youth who initially refused services, reducing their substance use, problem behaviours and mental health symptoms, as well as improving family functioning.
Trained facilitators will gain accreditation through a two-day workshop and supervision in implementing the program in your service. This project is funded by the WA Department of Justice.
ASHM - STI Testing in Primary Care - New online learning for Western Australian health professionals!
In recent years, the incidence of some STIs in Western Australia has been rising at an alarming rate. This year a syphilis outbreak has been declared in metro Perth. It’s more important than ever for Western Australian primary care providers to screen and test for STIs.
ASHM is offering a new online learning module, funded by and developed in collaboration with WA Health. Through interactive quizzes and case studies, Western Australian GPs and other health professionals can develop their skills to confidently discuss sexual health with patients, conduct guideline-based STI screening and testing, and initiate contact tracing.
The module is an accredited learning activity with RACGP and ACRRM, and a certificate of completion is available.
Start learning today at lms.ashm.org.au (search ‘STI Testing’)
Funded by the WA Department of Health Sexual Health and Blood-borne Virus Program.
Australian Government - COVID-19 Infection Control Training
This 30-minute online training module is for health care workers in all settings. It covers the fundamentals of infection prevention and control for COVID-19.
Access the online COVID-19 Infection Control Training. More information is also available in the Australian Government Department of Health information sheet Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for health care and residential care workers.
Make Smoking History - Smoking Cessation Brief Advice Online Training
The online courses will help staff make conversations about smoking, using the 3-step brief advice model, a regular part of their interactions with clients or patients. It will also increase their knowledge of best practice tobacco dependence treatment, and what services and resources are available to support clients or patients to reduce and quit smoking.
Everyone who works directly with clients or patients should undertake this training.
Visit Make Smoking History for more details.
SMART Recovery Australia - Online SMART Recovery Facilitator Training
Learn how to run an online SMART Recovery meeting by completing this six-hour interactive e-learning course. Part 2 of the training is a live and interactive two-hour video conference workshop that will run through simulated meeting scenarios and get you comfortable with facilitating online support groups.
Register at SMART Recovery Australia.
Wild Butterfly Documentary Screenings
Nine years in the making, set in WA and meticulously researched. Wild Butterfly is a dramatized documentary that explores the trauma of childhood sexual violence and its relationship to ongoing mental health issues and drug use. It uncovers the hidden story behind a family’s tragic circumstances and opens our eyes to the impacts of social injustices and prejudices that could befall anyone.
View the Wild Butterfly trailer, find out how to host your own Wild Butterfly screening.
Australian Research Webinars
- impact2020 – free webinars for the Australian for-purpose sector from the Centre for Social Impact.
- National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC) Resources - Webinars
- National Centre for Clinical Research on Emerging Drugs (NCCRED) Webinars
Training and Workforce Development Providers
- Anglicare WA - Professional Development Training - draws on more than 40 years’ experience as a leading service provider in the social services sector to develop and deliver quality training and professional development workshops to a range of audiences; from administration and teaching aids, to community service workers and psychologist through to lawyers and corporate groups.
- Connecting Up - Online Learning Program - designed to build the capability of the not-for-profit sector and give you the knowledge and skills you need for greater impact. Webinars, online workshops, and other learning opportunities available.
- Cracks in the Ice - This online training provides frontline workers, including peer workers, alcohol and other drug workers and clinicians, with information and resources about ice (crystal methamphetamine).
- Emerging Minds: National Workforce Centre for Child Mental Health - free training and information.
- Evolve Events - Training and Human Development - Along with their training services, they offer a complete event management service.
- Holyoake - DRUMBEAT Facilitator Training - Holyoake is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) that offers DRUMBEAT Facilitator Training to community and youth workers.
- Karen Hulls - Complex Trauma Training WA - deliver a range of comprehensive training programs for workers and carers who work with children, youth, adults and families who have experienced complex trauma.
- Mental Health Commission - AODtraining@MHC - provides a range of knowledge and skills-based training events on alcohol and other drugs and comorbidity. Events are free-of-charge and include induction training for new workers.
- Mental Health Commission - E-learning@MHC - online learning programs aimed at professionals employed in the AOD sector and other professional staff working to prevent AOD-related harm.
- National Comorbidity Guidelines Online Training - free, online training developed by by The Matilda Centre for Research in Mental Health and Substance Use and funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. Completion will take approximately 10 hours.
- Relationships Australia WA - Professional Development - provides training for family and community support professionals to develop specialist relationship counselling, mediation and management skills. Training is provided from basic to advanced professional competency levels.
- Responding to Disclosures of Sexual Assault - Sexual Assault Resource Centre (SARC) in Western Australia e-learning package.
- Richmond Wellbeing - courses&events - provide specialist, evidence-based training in Recovery-oriented approaches and practice, corporate training courses and a number of community and cultural events within supportive and inclusive environments.
- SAFE in Oz - run workshops on working with people impacted by self-destructive behaviours.
- SMART Recovery Program Training - SMART Recovery Australia offers training in the SMART Recovery behavioural change and addiction treatment program and how to run a SMART meeting in the community or your organisation.
- Sexual Assault and Resource Centre (SARC) - provides quality, evidence based education and training opportunities on issues related to sexual assault and sexual abuse to professional workers, students and volunteers.
Turning Point Connect & Learn Webinars - presented by experienced clinicians from the alcohol and other drug sector.
- The Western Australian Association for Mental Health (WAAMH) - offers a range of courses targeted to meet specific needs of the mental health workforce, enhance the skill development of roles which relate to mental health, and educate the wider community.
- William Street Family Therapy Centre - provides family and relationship professionals with high quality hands-on training courses, workshops and supervision.
- WISDOM in Your Life – Psychological and Aboriginal ways - provides training for mental health professionals.
- Womens Health and Family Services - Training for Health Professionals - WHFS presentations, seminars, workshops and training sessions can be tailored to specific group interests and budgets. In addition WHFS offers a professional supervision and consultancy service for individual, group and organisational issues concerning women and families.
- University of Adelaide ASSIST Program - - provides training, technical advice and support to people interested in Alcohol, Smoking and Substance Involvement Screening.
- pdf Comprehensive Alcohol and other Drug Workforce Development in Western Australia - Full Report (2.71 MB) - WANADA
- 2018 Peer Workforce Report - WA Peer Supporters' Network
WANADA provides information about training and workforce development through our e-newsletter FYI.