Workforce development and training opportunities for people working in the alcohol and other drug sector in Western Australia.
WACOSS / Shelter WA / WA Department of Health - Online COVID-19 Vaccination Information Sessions for Frontline Workers
Thursday 15 July 2021 - 2.30pm - 3.30pm
Wednesday 21 July 2021 - 3.30pm - 4.30pm
Tuesday 27 July 2021 - 9am - 10am
Frontline community service employees are invited to attend an online info session about the COVID-19 vaccine rollout. Experts will talk about vaccine safety, side effects, how and where vulnerable people can get vaccinated, and give you facts to challenge some of the common myths.
360Edge - Emotion regulation skills for alcohol and other drug workers
Wednesday 28 July 2021
Online interactive workshop
Cost: Early Bird $295 / Standard $355
Book 5 or more spaces for your team and save an additional 10% off the earlybird rate
Eligible for 6.5 hours of CPD (self-logged)
We all have strong emotions from time to time. To recognise and self-regulate emotions is a skill that is learned. This workshop will allow you to gain skills to assist your clients to better manage their emotions and identify triggers and respond effectively. Understand how lifestyle factors can impact the ability to regulate emotions and how emotions work and how they interact with thoughts and behaviours.
DANA - 'How Can Nurses and Midwives Perform at Our Best When We are Not at Our Best?'
Anchor - Dr Adam Searby. DANA’s President and Deakin University Lecturer
Guest Speakers - Glenn Taylor (Nursing and Midwifery Health Program Victoria) and Mark Aitken (Nurse & Midwife Support)
Thursday 12 August 2021
3.30pm AWST (5.30pm AEST)
Join DANA's live webinar where DANA will explore the impact of problematic substance use on nurses and midwives.
Research suggests that nurses and midwives are more susceptible to experiencing a substance related health impairment due to the work and are generally reluctant help-seekers. This is largely due to the fear of being stigmatised and judged, along with the potential for reputational damage and fear of losing our registration and employment.
Fortunately nurses, midwives and students have exclusive access to free, confidential and independent support services which address this challenge. It is designed by nurses and provided by experienced nurse and midwife counsellors.
For free registration, visit DANA- How Can Nurses and Midwives Perform at our Best? at Zoom.
Mental Health Commission - Valuable Conversations: Applying trauma informed care and practice (TICP) and motivational interviewing (MI) to alcohol use during pregnancy
Presented by Workforce Development, Mental Health Commission (MHC)
Katanning: 28 - 29 July
Port Hedland: 11 - 12 August
Wyndham: 1 - 2 September
Halls Creek: 13 - 14 September
Fitzory Crossing: 16 -17 September
Tom Price: 13 - 14 October
Kalgoorlie: 3 - 4 November
Esperance: 24 - 25 November
9am to 4.30pm
360Edge - Motivational interviewing masterclass
Online 2-day interactive workshop
Wednesday 25 and Thursday 26 August 2021
Cost: Early Bird $495 | Standard $655
Book 5 or more spaces for your team and save an additional 10% off the earlybird rate
This workshop is eligible for 13 hours of CPD (self-logged)
Join one of Australia’s most experienced alcohol and other drug trainers in this two day motivational interviewing masterclass for clinicians who want to build and strengthen their core motivational interviewing skills.
Participants will take their motivational interviewing skills to the next level, and will utilise self-reflection and practice to learn advanced skills in applying motivational interviewing to assessment, interventions and responding to therapeutic challenges.
For more information and to book, visit 360Edge - Motivational Interviewing.
Non Profit Training - Online Grant Writing Training
Thursday 26 August 2021
8am – 1:30pm AWST
Cost - $280 per person.
Learn the tools and strategies to set up a framework from which your organisation can be ready to apply for any grant with ease.
For more information visit Non Profit Training - Online Grant Writing Training.
Murdoch University - Free Training: Family-based intervention for youth alcohol and other drug use and co-occurring mental health issues in Western Australia
Murdoch University is offering free Behaviour Exchange and Systems Therapy (BEST) facilitator training for clinicians across Western Australia.
BEST is an evidence-based, 8-week, multi-family group program for parents and their young persons (12-24yo) with substance use and/or mental health issues. Previously implemented and evaluated in Victoria, BEST was effective in engaging at-risk youth who initially refused services, reducing their substance use, problem behaviours and mental health symptoms, as well as improving family functioning.
Trained facilitators will gain accreditation through a two-day workshop and supervision in implementing the program in your service. This project is funded by the WA Department of Justice.
ASHM - STI Testing in Primary Care - New online learning for Western Australian health professionals!
In recent years, the incidence of some STIs in Western Australia has been rising at an alarming rate. This year a syphilis outbreak has been declared in metro Perth. It’s more important than ever for Western Australian primary care providers to screen and test for STIs.
ASHM is offering a new online learning module, funded by and developed in collaboration with WA Health. Through interactive quizzes and case studies, Western Australian GPs and other health professionals can develop their skills to confidently discuss sexual health with patients, conduct guideline-based STI screening and testing, and initiate contact tracing.
The module is an accredited learning activity with RACGP and ACRRM, and a certificate of completion is available.
Start learning today at lms.ashm.org.au (search ‘STI Testing’)
Funded by the WA Department of Health Sexual Health and Blood-borne Virus Program.
Australian Government - COVID-19 Infection Control Training
This 30-minute online training module is for health care workers in all settings. It covers the fundamentals of infection prevention and control for COVID-19.
Access the online COVID-19 Infection Control Training. More information is also available in the Australian Government Department of Health information sheet Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for health care and residential care workers.
Make Smoking History - Smoking Cessation Brief Advice Online Training
The online courses will help staff make conversations about smoking, using the 3-step brief advice model, a regular part of their interactions with clients or patients. It will also increase their knowledge of best practice tobacco dependence treatment, and what services and resources are available to support clients or patients to reduce and quit smoking.
Everyone who works directly with clients or patients should undertake this training.
Visit Make Smoking History for more details.
SMART Recovery Australia - Online SMART Recovery Facilitator Training
Learn how to run an online SMART Recovery meeting by completing this six-hour interactive e-learning course. Part 2 of the training is a live and interactive two-hour video conference workshop that will run through simulated meeting scenarios and get you comfortable with facilitating online support groups.
Register at SMART Recovery Australia.
Wild Butterfly Documentary Screenings
Nine years in the making, set in WA and meticulously researched. Wild Butterfly is a dramatized documentary that explores the trauma of childhood sexual violence and its relationship to ongoing mental health issues and drug use. It uncovers the hidden story behind a family’s tragic circumstances and opens our eyes to the impacts of social injustices and prejudices that could befall anyone.
View the Wild Butterfly trailer, find out how to host your own Wild Butterfly screening.
Australian Research Webinars
- impact2020 – free webinars for the Australian for-purpose sector from the Centre for Social Impact.
- National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC) Resources - Webinars
- National Centre for Clinical Research on Emerging Drugs (NCCRED) Webinars
Training and Workforce Development Providers
- Anglicare WA - Professional Development Training - draws on more than 40 years’ experience as a leading service provider in the social services sector to develop and deliver quality training and professional development workshops to a range of audiences; from administration and teaching aids, to community service workers and psychologist through to lawyers and corporate groups.
- Connecting Up - Online Learning Program - designed to build the capability of the not-for-profit sector and give you the knowledge and skills you need for greater impact. Webinars, online workshops, and other learning opportunities available.
- Cracks in the Ice - This online training provides frontline workers, including peer workers, alcohol and other drug workers and clinicians, with information and resources about ice (crystal methamphetamine).
- Emerging Minds: National Workforce Centre for Child Mental Health - free training and information.
- Evolve Events - Training and Human Development - Along with their training services, they offer a complete event management service.
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) Training for Professionals - WA Mental Health Commission
- Holyoake - DRUMBEAT Facilitator Training - Holyoake is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) that offers DRUMBEAT Facilitator Training to community and youth workers.
- Karen Hulls - Complex Trauma Training WA - deliver a range of comprehensive training programs for workers and carers who work with children, youth, adults and families who have experienced complex trauma.
- Mental Health Commission - AODtraining@MHC - provides a range of knowledge and skills-based training events on alcohol and other drugs and comorbidity. Events are free-of-charge and include induction training for new workers.
- Mental Health Commission - E-learning@MHC - online learning programs aimed at professionals employed in the AOD sector and other professional staff working to prevent AOD-related harm.
- National Comorbidity Guidelines Online Training - free, online training developed by by The Matilda Centre for Research in Mental Health and Substance Use and funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. Completion will take approximately 10 hours.
- Relationships Australia WA - Professional Development - provides training for family and community support professionals to develop specialist relationship counselling, mediation and management skills. Training is provided from basic to advanced professional competency levels.
- Responding to Disclosures of Sexual Assault - Sexual Assault Resource Centre (SARC) in Western Australia e-learning package.
- Richmond Wellbeing - courses&events - provide specialist, evidence-based training in Recovery-oriented approaches and practice, corporate training courses and a number of community and cultural events within supportive and inclusive environments.
- SAFE in Oz - run workshops on working with people impacted by self-destructive behaviours.
- SMART Recovery Program Training - SMART Recovery Australia offers training in the SMART Recovery behavioural change and addiction treatment program and how to run a SMART meeting in the community or your organisation.
- Sexual Assault and Resource Centre (SARC) - provides quality, evidence based education and training opportunities on issues related to sexual assault and sexual abuse to professional workers, students and volunteers.
Turning Point Connect & Learn Webinars - presented by experienced clinicians from the alcohol and other drug sector.
- The Western Australian Association for Mental Health (WAAMH) - offers a range of courses targeted to meet specific needs of the mental health workforce, enhance the skill development of roles which relate to mental health, and educate the wider community.
- William Street Family Therapy Centre - provides family and relationship professionals with high quality hands-on training courses, workshops and supervision.
- WISDOM in Your Life – Psychological and Aboriginal ways - provides training for mental health professionals.
- Womens Health and Family Services - Training for Health Professionals - WHFS presentations, seminars, workshops and training sessions can be tailored to specific group interests and budgets. In addition WHFS offers a professional supervision and consultancy service for individual, group and organisational issues concerning women and families.
- University of Adelaide ASSIST Program - - provides training, technical advice and support to people interested in Alcohol, Smoking and Substance Involvement Screening.
- pdf Comprehensive Alcohol and other Drug Workforce Development in Western Australia - Full Report (2.71 MB) - WANADA
- 2018 Peer Workforce Report - WA Peer Supporters' Network
WANADA provides information about training and workforce development through our e-newsletter FYI.
This looks worth circulating ..
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2021 8:32 AM
Subject: Get ready for DANA's next great webinar 'How Can Nurses and Midwives Perform at Our Best When We are Not at Our Best?'